It is important to keep your dog well-groomed to maintain hygiene and prevent him from parasites. There are many grooming options available in the market but if you want to save some money, then this article is very beneficial for you. In this article, you will get a detailed step by step guide that will help you to Groom A Dog at home.
You will also get to know about the right way to groom your dog and all the grooming tools that you will need. To make everything easy for you, down you below, there are also some tips for grooming a dog properly. So without wasting any time, let’s jump into the dog grooming guide.
1. Grooming Tools
Before starting the grooming process, you will have to gather all the tools that are needed in the grooming. It will save you time and you will be able to groom effectively. So here is the list of all the tools that you will need:
- A Brush – If your dog has long coats, then a metal-pinned brush would be a great choice and you will need a rubber-teeth would for dogs with short hair.
- Scissors – To trim or cut the hairs of your dog effectively, you will need sharp scissors.
- Clippers – You will need a pair of electric clippers, make sure to use clippers that are specially made for dogs.
- Shampoo – You must use a shampoo that does not contain any harmful chemical, to save your dog from any irritation.
2. Washing Your Dog
The first thing that you have to do is wash your dog with some mild water. Make sure that the water is not hot. Washing will help in removing all the dirt from your dog’s coat. Then you will need a good quality shampoo to avoid any kind of reaction. Wash your dog and clean all the shampoo with water. If your dog is big then you should wash him outside and after washing, let him dry completely before starting the brushing.
3. Brushing Your Dog
Now after the washing process, it’s time to do the brushing. You will need a good quality brush to remove all the remaining damaged hair. Start from the head, then gently move to other areas. Be very careful with sensitive areas like the stomach of the dog. It will take some time but you must do it smoothly and gently, otherwise, it will irritate the dog’s skin.
4. Grooming Your Dog with Clippers
Clippers are best to trim the dog hairs. You should use clippers first to start the cutting process because clippers are faster. Make sure that the blades are sharp, so it won’t hurt the dog by pulling his hair. Slowly move to the other parts and take breaks because clippers get hot and it can hurt the dog. If you see any infected area, then before clipping that area, visit a veterinarian.
5. Grooming Your Dog with Scissors
You can use scissors to do touch up and it will also help you in trimming the leg’s hair. While using the scissors, you must ask someone to hold the dog, it will save him from the blades of scissors. While using scissors, make sure to only use the tips of the scissors, so if your dog makes any sudden movement, then you will be able to pull them away.
6. Tips for Grooming a Dog
If you are grooming your dog for the first time, then you might face some problems because dogs get nervous while grooming. So here are some tips that will help you to do proper grooming:
- While grooming always keeps some treats, so in case if your dog gets nervous, then you can give him the treats to relax him.
- There are many calming chewing gums available in the market, you can also use them. Those gums will calm your dog and it will make the grooming process easy.
Your dog will look more beautiful if you do proper time to time grooming. The chances of any infection will be less. Dogs are one of the best pets and you should take care of them like a family member. It is not necessary to spend on grooming services. Everything that you will need for grooming a dog properly as mentioned above.
Follow the steps and you will be able to groom a dog at home by yourself. Hope this article will help you to solve all of your queries and doubts regarding dog grooming.